Japan Wrestling

Japan Freestyle Squad Gets Together for 1st National Team Camp in Six Months

By Ken Marantz

TOKYO -- Save for a short period when his university was completely shut down, former world champion Takuto OTOGURO has been able to keep up a regular practice routine during the global pandemic.

But finally getting to work out with his fellow national team members takes it to another level. It gets the juices flowing, and raises hopes that the day the wrestling world gets back on the mat for competition won't be far off.

"To be here with the national team gathered together makes me feel grateful again," Otoguro said. "I feel motivated looking toward the Olympics."

The Japan national freestyle team started its first training camp in six months on Oct. 1 at the Ajinomoto National Training Center in Tokyo, with 17  of the nation's best converging for the eight-day conclave being held under strict health protocols.

In principle, the top two placewinners at last year's national championships were invited -- a few were excused due to university or company commitments -- as Japan begins preparation for the tentatively scheduled World Championships in December, Asian Championships in February and the Asian Olympic qualifying tournament in March. Whether any or all of the tournaments will be held is still just speculation.

The freestylers, who last got together in March this year, had been scheduled to have a camp in mid-July, following the women and Greco-Roman squads. While the latter two had their camps, freestyle was left in the lurch when a sudden surge of coronavirus cases in Tokyo caused the Japan federation to cancel.

Takuto OTOGURO ties up former Olympic medalist and national team coach Shinichi YUMOTO. (photo by Sachiko Hotaka/JWF)

"So many times we make a schedule and it's canceled, make a schedule and it's canceled," said freestyle head coach Kenji INOUE. "Under these circumstances, it could not be helped."

Scheduling a national team camp is no easy matter. Wrestlers are scattered around the country, and must be released by their university or club teams. Also, the federation needs to get the green light from its medical commission.

"Even if we [in the federation] want to hold this, we cannot do it without the support and cooperation of many people," Inoue said. "And then when we have to cancel after all the planning, all we can do it apologize to them. This time, along with being grateful for their cooperation, we can repay them by having a camp without incident."

Rei HIGUCHI squares off with former Olympic gold medalist and national team coach Tatsuhiro YONEMITSU. (photo by Sachiko Hotaka/JWF)

Following strict protocols

As with the camps held in July, the freestylers face strict regulations over their movements in the "bubble" of the NTC complex. There are limits on how many can be in the weight room at any one time. In the dining room, they are urged to sit diagonally across from each other, not face to face. Contact with the outside world is limited to an occasional run to the local convenience store.

Upon entering the wrestling room, they have their temperature taken, and sanitize not only their hands, but the bottom of their wrestling shoes. Each wrestler has taken a PCR test for the coronavirus; all came up negative.

"The teams did what they could and each individual did what he could," Inoue said. "I don't know if other countries did the same, but there's no anxiety on our part."

Otoguro has been somewhat fortunate in that Yamanashi Prefecture, where he attends Yamanashi Gakuin University, has been largely spared the brunt of the pandemic. Through Oct. 3, the prefecture west of Tokyo had just 194 cases and six deaths, compared to Tokyo with 26,376 and 411, respectively. As a whole, Japan has had about 1,600 deaths.

Otoguro and older brother Keisuke are the only Japanese in freestyle who have secured berths at the Tokyo Olympics, which were postponed a year to 2021. Takuto, the 2018 world gold medalist, earned his place at 65kg by finishing fifth at last year's World Championships, while Keisuke filled the 74kg spot by winning a domestic playoff, having moved up from 70kg.

Keisuke Otoguro had a slightly better situation coming into camp as he is a member of the Self-Defense Force Physical Training School team, which offers a high level of competition and ordinarily operates within a bubble of its own.

For inspiration, he has to look no farther than the team coaches, three of whom have won Olympic medals. Not only that, but Inoue (bronze, Athens 2004), Tatsuhiro YONEMITSU (gold, London 2012) and Shinichi YUMOTO (bronze, London 2012) are also on the national team staff.

"I am learning from wrestlers with the great experience of having won Olympic medals," Otoguro said. "I think that can be a big advantage for me."

His brother and Rei HIGUCHI, the Rio 2016 silver medalist at 57kg who will try to earn a spot in Tokyo in that weight class at the Asian qualifier, both got to see first hand how the coaches have not lost much since their active days.

Takuto Otoguro had the weight advantage in sparring with Yumoto, who wrestled at 55kg in his prime. But Higuchi faced the opposite situation in squaring off with Yonemitsu, who certainly looks like he would quickly get up to speed if he ever decided to return to competition.

"I have so much I can learn," Higuchi said of facing the muscular Yonemitsu, who has added bulk to the frame that triumphed in London at 66kg. "Naturally, there is a bit of a size difference. I need to overcome that. I'm the type that hates to lose, so it was very tough to take. I don't consider that the situation is hopeless."

Still, he is grateful for being back on the national team, as it gives him the chance for such encounters.

"If I'm not here, I don't have a chance [to wrestle] with Yonemitsu or Yumoto. It's fun, but it's also frustrating. This week, I'll do what I can to beat them."

Keisuke OTOGURO works on a takedown. (photo by Sachiko Hotaka/JWF)

Tough decision ahead

Higuchi had originally tried to make the Olympic team at 65kg, but couldn't get past Otoguro. He then dropped down two weight classes to 57kg to challenge former world champion Yuki TAKAHASHI, and defeated him in the final of the Emperor's Cup All-Japan Championships last December to earn a ticket to the Asian Olympic qualifier.

He hit a bump in the road when a cluster of infections broke out among the wrestlers at Nippon Sport Science University, his alma mater where he continues to train and serves as a graduate assistant. While it was not revealed whether Higuchi was among those infected, he said he made the best of the situation.

"Because of the coronavirus, the amount of practice was reduced," Higuchi said. "I went back home and had a lot of time off. I felt refreshed with a renewed sense of commitment. So it wasn't so bad."

Veteran Sosuke TAKATANI, a two-time Olympian and 2014 world silver medalist at 74kg who will try to make the Tokyo Games at 86kg, also had his training curtailed. But he is unperturbed about the long span between national team camps, which also saw the cancelation of all competition.

"I don't feel concerned at all," Takatani said. "Everyone in the country has to overcome this crisis. It's not a matter of, they did this or we couldn't do that. I'll just do what I can to get ready for the next competion."

What that competition will be is still up in the air, but even in the best-case scenario, Japan's top wrestlers will be forced to make a difficult decision.

The World Championships, normally held in September, have been scheduled for Dec. 12-20 in Belgrade. But that directly overlaps with the All-Japan Championships, which are slated for Dec. 17-20.

Normally, the team for the World Championships would be decided based on the results from the Emperor's Cup in December and the Meiji Cup All-Japan Invitational Championships in May or June. But the latter was canceled this year, and a Japan federation official said the winners at the Emperor's Cup will be given preference for places on the team to Belgrade. Some, however, may opt to stay in Japan for the Emperor's Cup, which will be their prerogative.

Takatani did not hesitate in saying he will opt for Belgrade. "My goal is to be No. 1 in the world, so if I'm given the chance, I want to definitely win the gold medal," he said, even though missing the Emperor's Cup would end his streak of nine consecutive national titles.

Both Takuto Otoguro and Higuchi said they are undecided at this point.

"I have to talk to my coach, I don't know now," said Otoguro, whose most recent competition was a gold-medal run at the Asian Championships in New Dehli in February.  "Tokyo is the goal, that's the standard. Whatever tournament I enter before then, I'll aim to win the title."

Higuchi is playing it by ear as well, leaving it undecided at the moment but assuring he will be on the mat for one of them.

"It will depend on the timing of how I feel in terms of getting back my match sense," he said.

The women and Greco-Roman national teams will hold camps from Oct. 20 and 21, respectively.

#WrestleCoralville

U.S. Kicks Off Pan-American Championships with Six Greco Golds

By Vinay Siwach

CROALVILLE, IOWA, United States (May 8) -- The United States opened the 2026 Pan-American with six golds medals out of eight on offer on day one of the tournament in Coralville, Iowa. The two other golds went to Cuba, who suffered two losses as well in the finals.

The most significant gold medal for the U.S. came at 130kg as Cohton SCHULTZ (USA) upset defending champion Oscar PINO (CUB) in the final, avenging his last year's loss, to win gold. Though it was an actionless final with both wrestlers exchanging passivity points, it was Schultz who got the first one which gave him the criteria win.

Both wrestlers had their chances to score from the top with Schultz trying to do a front headlock throw and Pino trying the classic gut-wrench. However, both failed in their moves and the American defend his criteria to claim his first-ever Pan-Am gold.

UWW Plus

Beka MELELASHVILI (USA) also had to battle it out against a former Pan-Am champion Daniel GREGORICH (CUB) for his 8-6 win and the 82kg gold medal. Melelashvili raced to a 7-0 lead from par terre but as he was trying the match-winning turn on Gregorich, the Cuban blocked him and held him in danger for two points. Melelashvili led 7-2 at the break.

As no passivity was awarded in the second period, Gregorich made a desperate headlock throw for four points but Melelashvili scored a reversal and led 8-6 with 42 seconds remaining. He defended his lead till the end to beat Gregorich for the second time in the day as he also won 1-1 on criteria in the Nelson bracket.

 

Former U17 world champion Joel ADAMS (USA) turned the 77kg final on its head from par terre in the second period to beat Oscar BARRIOS (HON), 10-1. When Adams got the par terre 1:52 remaining, he lifted Barrios and slammed him on the mat for a four-pointer. He continued the sequence and thew Barrios for another four-pointer to finish 9-1. Honduras challenged the second throw as it may have come after Adams moved outside the zone but on review the throw was changed to five points.

At 82kg, as only two wrestlers were entered, Kamal BEY (USA) and Diego MACIAS (MEX) wrestled in the final and former displayed his big-throwing ability to win the bout and gold 9-1.

The first scoring sequence was rather lame when Bey pushed Macias towards the zone and the Mexican just fell on his back, giving Bey four points. The two traded stepouts and Bey led 5-1 at the break. 15 seconds into the second period, Bey launched Macias for a big body throw, finishing the bout 9-1.

Landon DRURY (USA)Landon DRURY (USA) tries to score on Angel SEGURA (MEX) during their 63kg bout. (Photo: United World Wrestling / Jake Kirkman)

Landon DRURY (USA) and Max NOWRY (USA) won all their round-robin bouts to win gold medals at 63kg and 55kg, respectively.

Drury won four bouts with varied dominance but his first win, 9-3 over Jeremy PERALTA (ECU) in Round 1, proved crucial as Peralta did not lose any other bouts and finished with a silver medal.

Returning to international wrestling after four years, 36-year-old Nowry won his fourth Pan-Am title to go along with his golds in 2013, 2019 and 2020. He won all three bouts in the 55kg round-robin via technical superiority to claim gold.

Luis ORTA (CUB)Luis ORTA (CUB), red, wrestles Otto BLACK (USA) during the 67kg final. (Photo: United World Wrestling / Jake Kirkman)

Orta Wins 5th Pan-Am Gold

Former Olympic and world champion Luis ORTA (CUB) continued his undefeated streak at the continental championships, winning his fifth gold medal on Thursday. In a thrilling final against Otto BLACK (USA) at 67kg, Orta barely held on for a 5-3 victory.

Orta opened the scoring with stepout before getting the passivity call. He scored a turn using high gut-wrench for two and then added another for a 6-0 lead. However, the U.S. challenged and the second turn was cancelled as Orta committed an offensive leg foul to run Black.

Black got the par terre in the second period and foxed Orta with a turn. He initiated the attack towards his right before switching direction to neutralize Orta's defense. Black's two-point turn but Orta's lead to 4-3 with 1:59 remaining.

Luis ORTA (CUB)Luis ORTA (CUB) won his fifth Pan-American gold medal on Thursday. (Photo: United World Wrestling / Jake Kirkman)

But Orta was not done. He used a drag to score a takedown but the referee blew the whistle before he could complete it. Orta was awarded one point for a stepout which did not please him but he led 5-3.

The victory extended Orta's unbeaten streak at Pan-Ams to 16 wins and he has outscored his opponents 99-15 in those matches.

The second gold medal for Cuba was won by Kevin DE ARMAS (CUB) as he blanked Clisman CARRACEDO (ECU), 11-0, in the 60kg final.

On his Pan-Am debut, De Armas faced the youngster Carracedo but showed no mercy, scoring two front headlock turns for a 4-0 lead. He then got the par terre position and using a high gut-wrench, got two more points. He then lifted Carracedo and slammed him on the mat for four points that confirmed his technical superiority win.

Photo

RESULTS

55kg
GOLD: Max NOWRY (USA)
SILVER: Isaac MARIN MATA (MEX)
BRONZE: Moises PERALTA GONZALEZ (ECU)

60kg
GOLD: Kevin DE ARMAS (CUB) df. Clisman CARRACEDO (ECU), 11-0

BRONZE: Pedro DE SOUZA (BRA) df. Carlos HERRERA (VEN), 5-3
BRONZE: Yerony LIRIA (DOM) df. Abel SANCHEZ (PER), 10-1

63kg
GOLD: Landon DRURY (USA)
SILVER: Jeremy PERALTA (ECU)
BRONZE: Angel SEGURA (MEX)

67kg
GOLD: Luis ORTA (CUB) df. Otto BLACK (USA), 5-3

BRONZE: Nilton SOTO (PER) df. Irving SALAZAR (MEX), 5-5
BRONZE: Julian HORTA (COL) df. Jose VARELA (GUA), 9-0

77kg
GOLD: Joel ADAMS (USA) df. Oscar BARRIOS (HON), 10-1

BRONZE: Eduardo BERNAL (CHI) df. Justin BOYCE (BAR), 8-0
BRONZE: Joilson DE BRITO (BRA) df. David CHOC HUOC (GUA), 3-1

82kg
GOLD: Kamal BEY (USA) df. Diego MACIAS (MEX), 9-1

87kg
GOLD: Beka MELELASHVILI (USA) df. Daniel GREGORICH (CUB), 8-6

BRONZE: Luis AVENDANO (VEN) df. Johan BATISTA (DOM), via inj. def.

130kg
GOLD: Cohlton SCHULTZ (USA) df. Oscar PINO (CUB), 1-1

BRONZE: James FORD (PUR) df. Jose NUNEZ (DOM), via fall
BRONZE: Guilherme EVANGELISTA (BRA) df. Tyrece THOMPSON (JAM), via fall