#development

Kuwait Wrestling Federation developing wrestling through education

By United World Wrestling Press

KUWAIT CITY, Kuwait (May 26) – The Kuwait Wrestling Federation hosted its first-ever education courses for coaches and referees. These courses were conducted in conjunction with UWW, Olympic Solidarity, Kuwait NOC and the Kuwait Wrestling Federation from May 21-26 in Kuwait City, Kuwait. Mr. Mohammed ADELFATTAH (USA/EGY) led the Coaching Course, while contrast, Mr. Kamel BMOUAZIZ (TUN), Vice-President of the UWW Referee Commission and President of the Arab Wrestling Federation, led the Referee Course.

The technical course for coaches was conducted May 21-25. During the course, 18 participants attended and participated in this Level 1 Course (Introduction to Coaching and Safety). The following topics were covered throughout the course: discovery games, introducing a new technique, coaching skills, giving feedback, risk management, age and developmental stage characteristics. During the course, coaches actively practiced and developed their skills through practical evaluations. Overall, the coaches gained important knowledge and skills to help them improve in their role as a coach. "Wrestling is a new sport in Kuwait. I saw a good group of past wrestlers join the course who could be good coaches in the future for the Kuwait Wrestling Federation," said Mr. Abdelfattah.

KUWAIT
Participants of the education courses for coaches and referees gather for a photo. (Photo: United World Wrestling)

The Introduction to Refereeing Course was conducted from May 23-25. The course had 16 participants (14 men and two women). The participants learned the foundations of what it takes to be a great referee. The areas covered during the course included: the safety of the athletes, evaluation of holds, referee mechanics, positioning, and controlling the bout. The participants were active during the course and could practice their skills through practical assessment. "During the theoretical lessons, the participants actively asked questions and wanted to learn. The enthusiasm and atmosphere in the course were excellent. They were constantly requesting to learn as much as possible," said Mr. Bouaziz.

After the courses, the Kuwait Wrestling Federation organized a competition on May 26, allowing the coaches and referees to practice the new skills they learned.

"On my own behalf and behalf of all my colleagues of the Kuwait NOC Executive Board, I would like to express my gratitude for hosting the Wrestling Technical Courses for referees and coaches in collaboration with Olympic solidarity, which was at the Kuwait Olympic Committee headquarters from May 21-26," said Mr. Mohamed Amir SAADI, Technical Director, Kuwait Olympic Committee. "This valuable course has been conducted by UWW experts, who do a great job."

#TurkiyeWrestling

UWW mourns death of nine wrestlers 

By United World Wrestling Press

COSIER-SUR-VEVEY, Switzerland (February 11) -- Five days after multiple earthquakes hit the Kahramanmaraş province in southwest Turkiye, nine wrestlers were confirmed dead on Friday.  

In the aftermath of the earthquake which measured 7.8 on the Richter scale, people were stuck under the rubble and large-scale efforts are still continuing to save lives.

The following are the nine wrestlers that we have lost:

Mehmet ESKISARILI
Ahmet TAS
Ali GURSOY
Eray SIMSEK
Halil EDIRNE
Hasan SARITURK
Ozan TATLI
Ahmet DURMAN
Aslan EKIZ

United World Wrestling mourns their death.

"It is with a heavy heart to report we have lost nine wrestlers in the earthquakes that took place on February 6,” Nenad LALOVIC, UWW President, said “I ask that we remember these wrestlers, say their names aloud and pray for them and their families. The whole entire wrestling community is devastated by the loss of these young men who had a bright future ahead of them.”

More than 25,000 people have died so far as the earthquake hit Kahramanmaraş, affecting southwest Turkiye and northwest Syria.

A U20 wrestling tournament finished hours a night before the earthquake struck. Teams from France, Uzbekistan, Kosvo and Turkiye were participating in it. All the international wrestlers were sent home safely the next day. However, with the wrestling club demolished, a few Turkish wrestlers were stuck under the rubble.

On the first day, 21 wrestlers were saved immediately and others were subsequently rescued from under the rubble.

Olympic champion Taha AKGUL (TUR) was among the first ones to call for help and save the "30-40 wrestlers" stuck under the rubble. Four-time world champion Riza KAYAALP (TUR), Kerem KAMAL (TUR) and many others have volunteered and reached the earthquake-affected areas. They have joined hands to help and rescue the victims. The wrestling community around the world has shown support and donated to help Turkiye.

President of the Turkish Wrestling Federation Seref EROGLU, who belongs to Kahramanmaras, has been present at the site from the first day and joined the rescue operations.