Development

United World Wrestling Joins World Taekwondo in Worldwide Peace Initiative

By United World Wrestling Press

CORSIER-SUR-VEVEY (November 1) – United World Wrestling has joined with World Taekwondo and the Taekwondo Humanitarian Foundation (THF) to sign a landmark Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to promote humanitarian, peace and development-supporting activities around the world.

United World Wrestling president Nenad LALOVIC met with World Taekwondo President Chungwon CHOUE the World Wrestling Championships in Budapest on October 22 to sign the agreement.

The agreement will allow full cooperation and information exchange between the three organisations. They aim to commit to developing close cooperation in the following areas:

  • Promoting sport as a powerful vehicle towards peace, social development and integration of vulnerable populations;
  • Uniting forces in offering sport for development and peace activities, in particular in THF’s existing Azraq Taekwondo Academy in Azraq Refugee Camp, Jordan, and potentially other locations worldwide;
  • Exchanging and sharing of expertise, know-how, information and publications.

To help support the launch of the initiative United World Wrestling is also planning to deliver a coaches course in Jordan to train local coaches who will conduct wrestling sessions in the Azraq Refugee Camp.

“We have followed the development of this humanitarian fund and have seen what it can achieve and look forward to joining World Taekwondo’s effort to diversity athletic opportunities in the camps.” said Lalovic. “We trust that wrestling and taekwondo will add light to the lives of the children in these refugee camps.”

World Taekwondo President and THF Chairman, Chungwon Choue shared similar sentiments during the meeting. “At World Taekwondo, our motto is, ‘Peace is more precious than Triumph.’ This landmark agreement reflects our commitment to that ideal and is another key step forward in contributing to a more peaceful future through sport.”

“We have always been clear that we are open to working with other International Federations to ensure we can help as many people in need as possible,” said Choue. “We are looking forward to working with UWW to learn from them and to share our experience and expertise. Through our collaboration, we will be able to make a real difference to the lives of those that need it most.”

The terms of mutual assistance, financial responsibilities, and related activities of any project or activities implemented from the Memorandum will be mutually discussed and agreed upon in writing by all parties prior to their initiation.

UWW updates competition guidelines for Russia, Belarus wrestlers

By United World Wrestling Press

CORSIER-SUR-VEVEY, Switzerland (January 27) -- United World Wrestling will allow wrestlers from Russia and Belarus to compete under their respective national flags up to the U23 age level.

The decision follows a recommendation from the International Olympic Committee that youth athletes with Russian or Belarusian passports should no longer face restrictions on participation in sports events, both individual and team.

The UWW Bureau met last week to discuss the same and decided to implement the IOC recommendation at the U15, U17, U20 and U23 levels.

Russian and Belarusian wrestlers will now compete under their national flags and country initials, “RUS” and “BLR,” respectively. National anthems of both countries will be played at medal ceremonies at UWW events if their wrestlers win gold medals or if a team wins the team championship.

All other standard UWW protocols will be followed at competitions in accordance with international wrestling rules.

Russia

Last year, UWW had updated its criteria for eligible wrestlers and staff from the two countries, allowing them to participate under UWW flag at all competitions.

Despite the updated recommendations, both the IOC and UWW stress that all athletes and their support staff must continue to uphold the Olympic Movement’s mission of promoting unity and peace.

The latest IOC guidance means the March 2023 recommendations regarding Russia and Belarus are no longer mandatory for youth events.

However, the IOC maintains that no government officials from Russia or Belarus should be accredited or invited to international sports events or meetings for either senior or youth competitions.

It also said that International Federations should refrain from organizing or supporting international sports events in Russia, while this recommendation no longer applies to Belarus.