#WrestleZagreb

UWW names hosts for '23 Senior European, '24 U23 European C'ships

By Eric Olanowski

CORSIER-SUR-VEVEY, Switzerland (April 4) -- United World Wrestling has approved the host sites for the 2023 Senior European Championships and the 2024 U23 European Championships.

Zagreb, Croatia will host next year's Senior European Championships. The Croatian capital hosted the 2012 Junior European Championships, but the 2023 European Championships will be the first time Zagreb has welcomed a senior-level continental championship.

"I am thrilled to confirm that Zagreb will organize the 2023 Senior European Championships," said UWW President, Nenad LALOVIC." "The Croatian Wrestling Federation has been a reliable partner and has continuously improved its organizational capacity by hosting various junior level competitions. Combining their wrestling expertise with the support and infrastructure of the city of Zagreb will be a success for wrestling."

UWW also approved Baku, Azerbaijan as the host site for the 2024 U23 European Championships.   

"Baku hosting the 2024 U23 European Championships is a positive sign that Azerbaijan will return to hosting events in the future and shows the long-term interest of wrestling remains high," said Lalovic. "They will host the Greco-Roman World Cup later this year and adding the U23 Europeans Championships is adding to the number of major competitions they are keen to organize."

Earlier this year, UWW announced wrestling’s return to the historic city after an extended absence on the international calendar, as the city was provisionally approved to host the 2022 Greco-Roman World Cup (November 5-6).

The 2024 U23 European Championships will be the first time the Azerbaijani capital has hosted the U23 continental event, but the city is extremely familiar with hosting Europe’s best wrestlers. Baku hosted the 2015 European Games, which replaced the European Championships on the UWW calendar. It also hosted the 2012 European Championships in all three styles and will host the 2022 Greco-Roman World Cup in November.

For a full list of upcoming international events, click HERE.

#Anti-Doping

CAS dismisses Datunashvili appeal against anti-doping violation

By United World Wrestling Press

CORSIER-SUR-VEVEY, Switzerland (November 22) -- The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) has upheld the five-year ban imposed on Zurabi DATUNASHVILI (SRB), dismissing his appeal against the sanction handed down last year.

The CAS Anti-Doping Division (CAS ADD) sanctioned Datunashvili with five years of ineligibility on September 19, 2024. He filed an appeal against the decision, but on November 17, 2025, CAS dismissed the appeal and confirmed the sanction. His period of ineligibility will run until April 10, 2028.

Datunashvili had been charged by the ITA with multiple anti-doping rule violations (ADRVs), including the use of urine substitution in the lead-up to the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games and the creation and use of a fabricated video as evidence to justify a missed out-of-competition doping control in 2022.

As a result of the sanction, all results obtained by Datunashvili from May 27, 2021, to April 11, 2023 (the date of his provisional suspension) were disqualified, including his bronze medal at the Tokyo Olympics and the gold medals he won at the 2021 and 2022 World Championships.