#WrestleGuatemalaCity

Bravo-Young and Team USA Seek to Finish Strong on Final Day of #WrestleGuatemalaCity

By Taylor Miller

Roman BRAVO-YOUNG (USA) and eight of his teammates will wrestle for gold tonight in the Junior Pan American Championships.

Competing at 61 kg in men’s freestyle, this is Bravo-Young’s first international tournament since the 2016 Cadet World Championships.

“International competition is good,” Bravo-Young said. “You get to wrestle different people. In the U.S., we wrestle the same people all the time. Getting a different feel while being able to experience a new country is good. I’m having a good time so far.”

In today’s action, Bravo-Young has collected three wins by technical fall. Tonight he will wrestle Carlos MENDOZA PENA (MEX) in his final match of the round-robin bracket.

If he continues his impressive performance without giving up a point, he will be in the running for the tournament’s Outstanding Wrestler award.

As he seeks gold, RBY, as he is called in the U.S., draws some of his motivation for international glory from his college wrestling room at Penn State University.

“Being in the Penn State room and being around David TAYLOR, watching him practice and knowing that he’s a world champion and has reached the pinacle just makes me look up to him. Being around Cael SANDERSON and all the talent and success in that room is definitely a good time.”

Bravo-Young and the rest of Team USA had goals of matching the success of USA’s Senior Pan Am team, which won all 10 gold medals in Buenos Aires, Argentina, in April.

“We just want to see the momentum keep going,” he said. “Nine out of 10 going for gold is pretty good. We wanted to get all 10 like our Senior team, but we’re just going to keep moving forward.”

En español

Roman BRAVO-YOUNG (USA) y ocho de sus compañeros de equipo lucharán por el oro esta noche en el Campeonato Panamericano Juvenil.

Compitiendo en los 61kg del estilo libre masculino, este es el primer torneo internacional de Bravo-Young desde el Campeonato Mundial de Cadetes 2016.

"Es una buena experiencia competir a nivel internacional” dijo Bravo-Young. "Tienes la oportunidad de luchar con diferentes personas. En los Estados Unidos, luchamos con las mismas personas todo el tiempo. La sensación diferente y explorar un nuevo país es interesante. Lo estoy pasando bien hasta ahora.”

En los combates de hoy, Bravo-Young ha ganado por superioridad técnica las tres veces. Esta noche se enfrentara a Carlos MENDOZA PENA (MEX) en su último combate.

Si continua con su actuación destacada y sin que sus oponentes puedan marcarle algún punto, el es el favorito a la Bota de Oro.

Mientras va en camino a obtener la medalla de oro, RBY, como se le llama en los EE. UU., extrae parte de su motivación para la gloria internacional de su gimnasio de lucha universitaria en la Universidad de Penn State.

"Estar en gimnasio de Penn State y estar cerca de David TAYLOR, verlo practicar y saber que es un campeón del mundo y que ha alcanzado el punto más alto en nuestro deporte, me hace admirarlo,” dijo Bravo-Young. “Estar cerca de Cael SANDERSON y todo el talento y el éxito en ese gimnasio es definitivamente una experienca única.”

Bravo-Young y el resto del equipo de EE. UU. tenían como meta igualar el éxito del equipo Panamericano de Mayores de EE. UU., que ganó 10 medallas de oro en Buenos Aires, Argentina, en abril.

"Solo queremos ver que el impulso continúe,” dijo. "Nueve de 10 vamos por el oro es bastante bueno. Queríamos tener a los 10 como nuestro equipo de mayores, pero seguiremos avanzando.”

 

#UnitedWorldWrestling

UWW Appeal Committee concludes investigation into Olympic qualification match

By United World Wrestling Press

CORSIER-SUR-VEVEY, Switzerland (May 29) -- The United World Wrestling (UWW) Appeal Committee has reached a decision regarding the appeals filed against the UWW Disciplinary Chamber's ruling dated April 23, 2024, concerning the officiating of Match 266 (ITA vs AZE) at the European OG Qualifier in Baku, Azerbaijan.

After carefully considering the statements from the refereeing officials involved (Alexei Bazulin, Roman Pavlov, Ibrahim Cicioglu, Kamel Bouaziz, and Casey Goessl), the reports of the two review panels, and the opinions of impartial refereeing experts, the Appeal Committee concluded that there was no indication of bias in the officiating of the match. The issues identified were determined to be related to refereeing errors and technical aspects of officiating.

To ensure a fair and proportionate outcome, the Appeal Committee has referred the case back to the UWW Disciplinary Chamber for reconsideration. The Disciplinary Chamber has been instructed to reassess the appropriate sanctions, if any, based solely on the refereeing errors and technical officiating issues in accordance with the relevant UWW rules and regulations.

Considering the above, the Disciplinary Chamber revisited the case and issued the following decision:

Considering the above, in particular, that the appeal panel found that “there is no indication of bias amounting to a breach of the fundamental principles of integrity and fair play in the officiating of Match 266” and that “since this case is about the refereeing errors and questionable decisions of a technical nature”, pursuant to the UWW Regulations and rules the Disciplinary Chamber renders the following revised sanction:

  1. The suspension against the refereeing delegates (Mr. Bouaziz, Mr. Cicioglu, Mr. Goessl) is reduced until 31 May 2024; notwithstanding the foregoing, the refereeing delegates are reinstated in the selection for the Olympic Games and may be considered, subject to the final selection by the Refereeing Commission and the UWW Bureau, to officiate only as mat chairmen during the Games.
  2. The suspension against Mr. Bazulin is reduced until 31 May 2024; notwithstanding the foregoing, Mr. Bazulin is reinstated in the selection for the Olympic Games and may be considered, subject to the final selection by the Refereeing Commission and the UWW Bureau, to officiate as referee during the Games.
  3. The suspension against Mr. Pavlov is reduced to the same period as the judge’s, i.e. until 30 September 2024.

The UWW remains committed to upholding the integrity of the sport and ensuring that all competitions are conducted fairly and in accordance with the rules and regulations.