Japan Wrestling

Japan Freestyle Squad Gets Together for 1st National Team Camp in Six Months

By Ken Marantz

TOKYO -- Save for a short period when his university was completely shut down, former world champion Takuto OTOGURO has been able to keep up a regular practice routine during the global pandemic.

But finally getting to work out with his fellow national team members takes it to another level. It gets the juices flowing, and raises hopes that the day the wrestling world gets back on the mat for competition won't be far off.

"To be here with the national team gathered together makes me feel grateful again," Otoguro said. "I feel motivated looking toward the Olympics."

The Japan national freestyle team started its first training camp in six months on Oct. 1 at the Ajinomoto National Training Center in Tokyo, with 17  of the nation's best converging for the eight-day conclave being held under strict health protocols.

In principle, the top two placewinners at last year's national championships were invited -- a few were excused due to university or company commitments -- as Japan begins preparation for the tentatively scheduled World Championships in December, Asian Championships in February and the Asian Olympic qualifying tournament in March. Whether any or all of the tournaments will be held is still just speculation.

The freestylers, who last got together in March this year, had been scheduled to have a camp in mid-July, following the women and Greco-Roman squads. While the latter two had their camps, freestyle was left in the lurch when a sudden surge of coronavirus cases in Tokyo caused the Japan federation to cancel.

Takuto OTOGURO ties up former Olympic medalist and national team coach Shinichi YUMOTO. (photo by Sachiko Hotaka/JWF)

"So many times we make a schedule and it's canceled, make a schedule and it's canceled," said freestyle head coach Kenji INOUE. "Under these circumstances, it could not be helped."

Scheduling a national team camp is no easy matter. Wrestlers are scattered around the country, and must be released by their university or club teams. Also, the federation needs to get the green light from its medical commission.

"Even if we [in the federation] want to hold this, we cannot do it without the support and cooperation of many people," Inoue said. "And then when we have to cancel after all the planning, all we can do it apologize to them. This time, along with being grateful for their cooperation, we can repay them by having a camp without incident."

Rei HIGUCHI squares off with former Olympic gold medalist and national team coach Tatsuhiro YONEMITSU. (photo by Sachiko Hotaka/JWF)

Following strict protocols

As with the camps held in July, the freestylers face strict regulations over their movements in the "bubble" of the NTC complex. There are limits on how many can be in the weight room at any one time. In the dining room, they are urged to sit diagonally across from each other, not face to face. Contact with the outside world is limited to an occasional run to the local convenience store.

Upon entering the wrestling room, they have their temperature taken, and sanitize not only their hands, but the bottom of their wrestling shoes. Each wrestler has taken a PCR test for the coronavirus; all came up negative.

"The teams did what they could and each individual did what he could," Inoue said. "I don't know if other countries did the same, but there's no anxiety on our part."

Otoguro has been somewhat fortunate in that Yamanashi Prefecture, where he attends Yamanashi Gakuin University, has been largely spared the brunt of the pandemic. Through Oct. 3, the prefecture west of Tokyo had just 194 cases and six deaths, compared to Tokyo with 26,376 and 411, respectively. As a whole, Japan has had about 1,600 deaths.

Otoguro and older brother Keisuke are the only Japanese in freestyle who have secured berths at the Tokyo Olympics, which were postponed a year to 2021. Takuto, the 2018 world gold medalist, earned his place at 65kg by finishing fifth at last year's World Championships, while Keisuke filled the 74kg spot by winning a domestic playoff, having moved up from 70kg.

Keisuke Otoguro had a slightly better situation coming into camp as he is a member of the Self-Defense Force Physical Training School team, which offers a high level of competition and ordinarily operates within a bubble of its own.

For inspiration, he has to look no farther than the team coaches, three of whom have won Olympic medals. Not only that, but Inoue (bronze, Athens 2004), Tatsuhiro YONEMITSU (gold, London 2012) and Shinichi YUMOTO (bronze, London 2012) are also on the national team staff.

"I am learning from wrestlers with the great experience of having won Olympic medals," Otoguro said. "I think that can be a big advantage for me."

His brother and Rei HIGUCHI, the Rio 2016 silver medalist at 57kg who will try to earn a spot in Tokyo in that weight class at the Asian qualifier, both got to see first hand how the coaches have not lost much since their active days.

Takuto Otoguro had the weight advantage in sparring with Yumoto, who wrestled at 55kg in his prime. But Higuchi faced the opposite situation in squaring off with Yonemitsu, who certainly looks like he would quickly get up to speed if he ever decided to return to competition.

"I have so much I can learn," Higuchi said of facing the muscular Yonemitsu, who has added bulk to the frame that triumphed in London at 66kg. "Naturally, there is a bit of a size difference. I need to overcome that. I'm the type that hates to lose, so it was very tough to take. I don't consider that the situation is hopeless."

Still, he is grateful for being back on the national team, as it gives him the chance for such encounters.

"If I'm not here, I don't have a chance [to wrestle] with Yonemitsu or Yumoto. It's fun, but it's also frustrating. This week, I'll do what I can to beat them."

Keisuke OTOGURO works on a takedown. (photo by Sachiko Hotaka/JWF)

Tough decision ahead

Higuchi had originally tried to make the Olympic team at 65kg, but couldn't get past Otoguro. He then dropped down two weight classes to 57kg to challenge former world champion Yuki TAKAHASHI, and defeated him in the final of the Emperor's Cup All-Japan Championships last December to earn a ticket to the Asian Olympic qualifier.

He hit a bump in the road when a cluster of infections broke out among the wrestlers at Nippon Sport Science University, his alma mater where he continues to train and serves as a graduate assistant. While it was not revealed whether Higuchi was among those infected, he said he made the best of the situation.

"Because of the coronavirus, the amount of practice was reduced," Higuchi said. "I went back home and had a lot of time off. I felt refreshed with a renewed sense of commitment. So it wasn't so bad."

Veteran Sosuke TAKATANI, a two-time Olympian and 2014 world silver medalist at 74kg who will try to make the Tokyo Games at 86kg, also had his training curtailed. But he is unperturbed about the long span between national team camps, which also saw the cancelation of all competition.

"I don't feel concerned at all," Takatani said. "Everyone in the country has to overcome this crisis. It's not a matter of, they did this or we couldn't do that. I'll just do what I can to get ready for the next competion."

What that competition will be is still up in the air, but even in the best-case scenario, Japan's top wrestlers will be forced to make a difficult decision.

The World Championships, normally held in September, have been scheduled for Dec. 12-20 in Belgrade. But that directly overlaps with the All-Japan Championships, which are slated for Dec. 17-20.

Normally, the team for the World Championships would be decided based on the results from the Emperor's Cup in December and the Meiji Cup All-Japan Invitational Championships in May or June. But the latter was canceled this year, and a Japan federation official said the winners at the Emperor's Cup will be given preference for places on the team to Belgrade. Some, however, may opt to stay in Japan for the Emperor's Cup, which will be their prerogative.

Takatani did not hesitate in saying he will opt for Belgrade. "My goal is to be No. 1 in the world, so if I'm given the chance, I want to definitely win the gold medal," he said, even though missing the Emperor's Cup would end his streak of nine consecutive national titles.

Both Takuto Otoguro and Higuchi said they are undecided at this point.

"I have to talk to my coach, I don't know now," said Otoguro, whose most recent competition was a gold-medal run at the Asian Championships in New Dehli in February.  "Tokyo is the goal, that's the standard. Whatever tournament I enter before then, I'll aim to win the title."

Higuchi is playing it by ear as well, leaving it undecided at the moment but assuring he will be on the mat for one of them.

"It will depend on the timing of how I feel in terms of getting back my match sense," he said.

The women and Greco-Roman national teams will hold camps from Oct. 20 and 21, respectively.

#WrestleTirana

European Championships 2026 Freestyle Preview

By United World Wrestling Press

TIRANA, Albania (April 17) -- After six years away from the continental stage, Abdulrashid SADULAEV (UWW) is set to walk back into the European Championships in Tirana, Albania. Barring an upset of the highest order, he’s likely to reclaim the title he won for the fifth time in Rome back in 2020.

Sadulaev’s absence from the continental championships for the better part of a decade wasn’t a typical one – due to injury or lack of form. As a two-time Olympic champion and a six-time world champion, Sadulaev had built up a resume that made European gold almost routine.

WATCH SADULAEV LIVE | Download European Championships 2026 Preview

His was a schedule built on world conquest and he simply didn’t need the European Championships. He skipped the tournament year after year even as he dominated globally.

Sadulaev’s return to the European Championships doesn’t seem to be linked to any sentimentality, legacy or any need to prove himself. In an interview he had given to UWW at the Muhamet Malo Ranking Series 2026, where he beat Takhir KHANIEV (UWW) to secure his spot for the European Championships, Sadulaev’s explanation was very practical. “For me, this gold means qualifying for the European Championships… It was very important for me to qualify there,” he said.

The 29-year-old hasn’t treated the European Championships as essential for years. At the Muhamet Malo Ranking Series, Sadulaev gave further insights into where his focus lies by saying he was already looking ahead to a stacked World Championships field later in the year and mentioned the possibility of multiple Olympic champions in one bracket.

Sadulaev is unlikely to face anything close to that challenge in Tirana. If anyone expected rust -- the 2026 Muhamet Malo Ranking Series was his first international competition since he won gold at the 2024 World Championships at this same venue --  he ended that idea comprehensively. He beat a strong field at the Muhamet Malo Ranking Series, including Khaniev, who beat Kyle SNYDER (USA) earlier in the competition.

A fully fit and focused Sadulaev should find the field in Tirana -- where, incidentally, he will be competing for the third straight international tournament -- a straightforward one despite the presence of defending champion Givi MATCHARASHVILI (GEO) and world medalist Osman NURMAGOMEDOV (AZE), who is moving up from 92kg to 97kg.

However what Sadulaev does though, his return changes the nature of the tournament. If he wins, it sets him up for a crack at a remarkable seventh world title later this year. If the unthinkable should occur in Tirana though, anyone who does get the better of Sadulaev in Europe will immediately become relevant worldwide.

While Sadulaev headlines the event, two other former European champions will be wrestling in Tirana. Arsen HARUTYUNYAN (ARM) and Tajmuraz SALKAZANOV (SVK) are also lining up for their fifth European title in Tirana.

Uguev vs Harutyunyan
In contrast to an open 57kg division, the 61kg category has a strong favorite in defending champion Zavur UGUEV (UWW) who is in excellent form having won the Muhamat Malo Ranking series earlier this year. Expect last year’s silver medalist Harutyunyan and bronze medalist Zelimkhan ABAKAROV (ALB) to also contend for the podium at this edition.

Shamil MAMEDOV (BUL)Shamil MAMEDOV (BUL) will make his European Championships debut in Tirana. (Photo: United World Wrestling / Amirreza Aliasgari)

New king at 65kg
A new champion will be crowned in the 65kg category, always one of the most competitive weight categories, since last year's victor Ibragim IBRAGIMOV (UWW) isn’t returning.

Shamil MAMEDOV (BUL), who is competing in his first international competition since he won bronze at the 2023 World Championships, has to be the favorite as he dawns into a new era in his career.

Former champions Vazgen TEVANYAN (ARM) and Islam DUDAEV (ALB) will be key contenders but both haven’t been in the best of form last year. Two-time U23 world champion Bashir MAGOMEDOV (UWW) will likely be another main threat.

Taimuraz SALKAZANOV (SVK)Taimuraz SALKAZANOV (SVK) is a four-time European champion. (Photo: United World Wrestling / Kostadin Andonov)

Salkazanav Eyes Fifth Title
Tajmuraz SALKAZANOV (SVK) saw his bid to win a fifth straight European title end following an early loss to Zaurbek SIDAKOV (UWW) last time around. But with neither Sidakov, who won silver, nor defending European champion Chermen VALIEV (ALB) competing in Tirana, Salkazanov is well placed to return to the top of the podium. 

Also looking to add to his European gold medal tally is Mahamedkhabib KADZIMAHAMEDAU (UWW). The 33-year-old has been bouncing across weight categories over the past couple of years. He wrestled at 74kg at the Paris Olympics, then won silver at last year's European Championships in the 86kg category but is now cutting down to 79kg, the category in which he won his first continental title back in 2020.

Standing between him and a second European title are Zelimkhan KHADJIEV (FRA) who is trying to improve on the silver he won last time and Akhmed USMANOV (UWW) who himself briefly wrestled in the 86kg class without much success at this year's edition of the Muhamet Malo Ranking series.

Azamat TUSKAEV (SRB)Azamat TUSKAEV (SRB), returning silver medalist, will look to change his medal color to gold this year. (Photo: United World Wrestling / Kostadin Andonov)

Shootout at 57kg
Unlike the 97kg category, the 57kg weight class is wide open with no Sadulaev-like figure to shut the door on everyone else. Defending champion Nachyn MONGUSH (UWW) isn’t returning this year. In his absence, the closest thing to a favorite might be Azamat TUSKAEV (SRB), but, he too, also hasn’t had the best run since taking silver last year, placing 21st at last year's World Championships and failing to medal at the Zagreb Open earlier this year.

Musa MEKHTIKHANOV (UWW), who will be competing in his first continental championships, doesn’t have any real hardware from international competition but is more than capable of being a contender having picked up a win against last year’s European bronze medalist Islam BAZARGANOV (AZE) at the 2025 World Championships.

Arsenii DZHOIEV (AZE)Arsenii DZHOIEV (AZE) and Ibragim KADIEV (UWW) are two favorites at 86kg. (Photo: United World Wrestling / Kostadin Andonov)

Shake Up at 86kg and 92kg
The 86kg category is also looking at a shake up. Osman GOCEN (TUR) is the only returning medal winner in this year’s bracket. Expected to lead the charge for the podium this time around is Ibragim KADIEV(UWW), who had a strong outing at the Muhamet Malo Ranking series where he won gold beating world champion Georgios KOUGIOUMTSIDIS (GRE) in the final.

However, Kadiev was pushed hard by world bronze medalist Arsenii DZHIOEV (AZE) who would be itching to repay the favor once again in Tirana. 

The 92kg division will also see just one medal winner from 2025 -- Miriani MAISURADZE (GEO) returning to Tirana. That leaves the field open for 2025 world silver medalist Amanula GADZHIMAGOMEDOV (UWW), reigning U23 European champion Ali TCOKAEV (AZE) and Ahmed BATAEV (BUL) for a chance to win their first European title.

Giorgi MESHVILDISHVILI (AZE)Giorgi MESHVILDISHVILI (AZE) is the defending European champion at 125kg. (Photo: United World Wrestling)

Meshvildishvili Firm
Although he hasn’t been in the best of form recently, failing to medal at the Muhamet Malo Ranking series, last year's champion and 2025 worlds silver medalist Giorgi MESHVILDISHVILI (AZE) is still the man to beat at the 125kg category especially since last year’s runner up Solomon MANASHVILI (GEO) has had an up an down season.

While Meshvildishvili is the favorite, former U23 world silver medalists Alen KHUBULOV (BUL) and Shamil MUSAEV (UWW) may yet spring a surprise.

David BAEV (UWW) dropped just one point en route to the European title last year including a 10-0 blowout against former world champion Iszmail MUSZUKAJEV (HUN), and is the favorite in the 70kg category this year as well.