Tokyo 2020

Wrestling to Preserve Dates, Locations for Tokyo 2021 Qualifying

By United World Wrestling Press

CORSIER-SUR-VEVEY (April 7) -- The United World Wrestling bureau has voted to preserve the dates and host cities for the remaining qualification events of the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games. The Bureau also passed a a series of technical adjustments to clarify athletes' Olympic eligibility and announce the 2020 Ordinary Congress.

The remaining Continental qualifiers will remain in the month of March and take place in their original host cities. The "Last Chance" qualifier will be held at the end of April in Sofia, Bulgaria.

"We want to plan our calendar in alignment with the IOC and the new dates for Tokyo 2020," said United World Wrestling president Nenad Lalovic. "We also find it vital to continue our work with host cities and concerned national federations."

After consultation with the concerned organizers, the Technical Commission and the Sports Department, the UWW Bureau also voted to postpone all UWW Championships planned before June 30, 2020. All international tournaments in this time frame are also cancelled.

UWW has also suggested that all National Federations cancel their national events during the time to ensure the health of all athletes and participants in protected.

The rest of the 2020 calendar will be adjusted to allow for consideration of the COVID-19 pandemic, and will take into account any financial challenges faced by organizers and national federations.

For athletes who meet the minimum age requirement in 2021 will be eligible to compete during Olympic qualification and the Games,
 
As stated previously by the IOC and UWW, no existing allocations of Olympic licenses will be changed.

In keeping with good governance, the UWW Ordinary Congress is still scheduled for September 6 on the eve of the Junior World Championship in Belgrade. However, as the championship may be postponed it was still agreed to convene to the Congress -- and the call for candidacies --  as though the Congress will proceed as planned.

Obituary, #UnitedWorldWrestling

Former UWW Sec Gen Dusson passes away

By United World Wrestling Press

CORSIER-SUR-VEVEY, Switzerland (May 29) -- Former United World Wrestling General Secretary and Hall of Fame member Michel DUSSON passed away Thursday aged 90 years.

Dusson served wrestling for close to 65 years in different positions including being a referee, President of Federation Francaise de Lutte and Secretary General of UWW from 1982 to 2022.

UWW President expressed his condolences on the demise of Dusson and thanked him for his service to wrestling.

"Dusson was a true steward of the sport of wrestling," Lalovic said. "He dedicated his life to it and served across many eras. We are forever indebted to his unwavering commitment and lifelong dedication to wrestling."

Before being appointed the Secretary General in 1982, Dusson was the Bureau member of UWW (then FILA) from 1980. He began his referee career in 1959 and remained one till 1980, officiating the 1976 Olympic Games in Montreal.

He also served as the member of the French Olympic Committee for 12 years besides being appointed as the CAS Arbitrator from 1984 to 1992.

While he made numerous contribution to grow and improve wrestling over the years, Dusson played a major role in bringing Women's Wrestling to the Olympic program.

In 2018, he was inducted into the UWW Hall of Fame at a ceremony on the eve of the World Championships in Budapest, Hungary.

UWW expresses its condolences to the Dusson family.