Obituary

Former UWW Counsel, IOC Director-General François Carrard Dies Aged 83

By United World Wrestling Press

CORSIER-SUR-VEVEY, Switzerland (January 10) -- Long-time International Olympic Committee Director-General and former United World Wrestling counsel François Carrard passed away Sunday at the age of 83.

UWW President Nenad LALOVIC expressed his deep sympathies with Carrard's family and said that the international federation is thankful for François Carrard's association.

"François Carrard was at the service of wrestling since we called upon him," Lalovic said. "He’s been instrumental in helping save wrestling on the Olympic Programme and continued to support the years after with his expertise within the law and international sport."

Apart from assisting UWW in many battles over the years, Mr. Carrard was also involved in helping the organization regain its spot in the Olympic Programme by advising on necessary reforms. It was his expertise in the field of Olympics and sports law that he introduced new statutes and modern governance principles.

Given his involvement in the sport, the Doctor of Law from the University of Lausanne visited the wrestling family on various occasions during the World Championships.

Apart from wrestling, Mr. Carrard, who entered the bar in 1967, led the IOC  administration from 1989 until 2003 and played a crucial role during the 1999-2000 IOC reforms. He was also appointed as the spokesperson of the IOC Executive Board.

In addition, his contribution in setting up the World Anti-Doping Agency and the introduction of the first WADA Code are well known besides being involved in revamping the Olympic Charter and in the IOC Commission on Apartheid and Olympism.

On behalf of the wrestling community, we thank Maitre François Carrard for his friendship and support of our sport.

2026 World Championships

Astana Announced as Replacement Host for 2026 World Championships

By United World Wrestling Press

CORSIER-SUR-VEVEY, Switzerland (May 22) -- Astana, Kazakhstan will host the 2026 World Championships from October 24 to November 1.

United World Wrestling Bureau met on Friday and after careful consideration of the current geopolitical situation, particularly the ongoing uncertainty and impact on international travel, it decided to change the host for the 2026 World Championships.

Manama, Bahrain was scheduled to host the World Championships as it was awarded the tournament in Zagreb last year. UWW and Bahrain released a joint statement on Friday, announcing the postponement of the same.

After successful site visits and inspections, the Kazakhstan Wrestling Federation was chosen as a replacement host and Barys Arena was selected as the venue.

World Championships 2026

The announcement marks the return of the World Championships to Astana, a city which successfully hosted the 2019 World Championships. Close to 1000 wrestlers participated in 2019 edition, making it one of the most attended tournaments.

As seen in 2019, full attendance is expected at the the Barys Arena for the nine-day event.

UWW remains committed to assisting National Federations and the schedule for the 2026 World Championships in Astana will be communicated soon. For details of events, visit uww.org/events.