Obituary

Former UWW Counsel, IOC Director-General François Carrard Dies Aged 83

By United World Wrestling Press

CORSIER-SUR-VEVEY, Switzerland (January 10) -- Long-time International Olympic Committee Director-General and former United World Wrestling counsel François Carrard passed away Sunday at the age of 83.

UWW President Nenad LALOVIC expressed his deep sympathies with Carrard's family and said that the international federation is thankful for François Carrard's association.

"François Carrard was at the service of wrestling since we called upon him," Lalovic said. "He’s been instrumental in helping save wrestling on the Olympic Programme and continued to support the years after with his expertise within the law and international sport."

Apart from assisting UWW in many battles over the years, Mr. Carrard was also involved in helping the organization regain its spot in the Olympic Programme by advising on necessary reforms. It was his expertise in the field of Olympics and sports law that he introduced new statutes and modern governance principles.

Given his involvement in the sport, the Doctor of Law from the University of Lausanne visited the wrestling family on various occasions during the World Championships.

Apart from wrestling, Mr. Carrard, who entered the bar in 1967, led the IOC  administration from 1989 until 2003 and played a crucial role during the 1999-2000 IOC reforms. He was also appointed as the spokesperson of the IOC Executive Board.

In addition, his contribution in setting up the World Anti-Doping Agency and the introduction of the first WADA Code are well known besides being involved in revamping the Olympic Charter and in the IOC Commission on Apartheid and Olympism.

On behalf of the wrestling community, we thank Maitre François Carrard for his friendship and support of our sport.

#JapanWrestling

I Want to Win Second Olympic Gold at LA 2028: Higuchi

By United World Wrestling Press

TOKYO (May 22) -- Paris Olympic champion at 57kg Rei HIGUCHI (JPN) returned to competition for the 2026 Meiji Cup All-Japan Invitational Championships in Tokyo. After reaching the 61kg final on Saturday, Higuchi defeated Toshihiro HASEGAWA (JPN), 3-0, in the gold medal bout.

Normally, the two should have wrestle off to earn a spot on the Japan team for the 2026 World Championships. However, Higuchi withdrew from the play-off to everyone's surprise. He later talked to the press. Excerpts:

UWW Plus

-- On withdrawing from World Championships wrestle-off against Hasegawa

Higuchi: In December, the qualifying process at 57kg starts for [the 2028] Los Angeles [Olympics]. There is the World Championships, but all I am thinking of is a second straight title in Los Angeles. Strategically speaking, I have six months from now to get my body ready and drop to 57kg, and I want to give that priority. That's how I came to this decision."

-- On his performance at the Meiji Cup

Higuchi: I tried various new takedowns, and I was able to apply pressure in the clinch as well. I think it went pretty well, more or less. There was one throw I felt I could have executed better, and there were a few other areas where I wanted to finish things off more decisively. I guess there’s a mix of things to reflect on and things that went well. It feels like a bit of a mixed bag. 

-- On his return after 21 months since 2024 Paris Olympics

Higuchi: It was definitely fun. It was my first match in a long time, so I was really excited and nervous, but I’m not the type to feel too much pressure. Even as an Olympic champion, how should I put it?, I’m sure there were people hoping for an upset, but whether I win or lose, the fact that I’m an Olympic gold medalist doesn’t change. So in that sense, I was able to let go of the pressure and really enjoy the wrestling.

-- On his physical health

Higuchi: In the first match, I definitely felt like my legs were really heavy. It had been a while since my last match, and it had been a while since I’d reduce weight too. There were moments where I wondered, “Is this really okay?” But by the second match, the semifinal, I was gradually finding my rhythm and moving well. I really feel it was great that I was able to compete once six months ago, rather than starting all of a sudden this December.

-- On any improvements for future

Higuchi: First of all, I need to build a body that’s properly suited for the 57kg weight class. It’s been a while since I’ve competed, so I didn’t perform as well as I’d hoped. I think if I refocus and tighten up my game, I’ll be able to deliver an even better performance. I really want to get back to training soon. It was so much fun. It’s been a while, but I feel like I can pull off all sorts of new moves and do so much more, so I’m eager to get back to training. 

-- On motivation for LA 2028

Higuchi: There’s only one person in the history of Japanese wrestling [Freestyle] who has won back-to-back Olympic gold medals. My goal is to become the strongest wrestler in the history of Japanese wrestling. In terms of records. There are many great predecessors, but I want to break their records. I want to become the kind of figure where people say, “Rei Higuchi was the strongest in Japanese wrestling history.”

I want to wrap things up by winning two consecutive gold medals in Los Angeles.