#Kiev2018

Lalovic Visits Kiev for Inspection of Euro Cadet C’Ships

By United World Wrestling Press

CORSIER-SUR-VEVEY (March 12) – United World Wrestling president Nenad LALOVIC and UWW-Europe president Tzeno TZENOV traveled to Kiev last week to inspect the hosting conditions for the 2018 European Cadet Championships  to be held in April.

"It is very important for Ukraine as this championship is qualification on Youth Olympic Games which will be held in Argentina in October of this year,” said Lalovic, a member of the IOC executive board. “I know that they will do an exceptional job of hosting.”

"We have an experience of holding serious European sports competitions. Last year we have organized the European Boxing Championship in Kharkiv and the European championship on a diving in Kyiv,” said Igor RAYNIN, Head of Presidential Administration. “This year we will organize two finals of the Champions League of UEFA. And, certainly, the European Cadet Wrestling Championship - we are capable to organize at the high international level.”

Raynin also noted that the all-European sporting event much attention from the President of Ukraine, the Ministry of Youth and Sport, the Kiev city administration and the Ukrainian Wrestling Association.

Raynin said the preparation for competitions of such level the conditions guaranteeing safety and respect for each athlete in full accordance with the international rules and the current legislation of Ukraine will be created.

The parties have reached the agreement that national federations of the countries which plan to be presented in the European Wrestling Championship have to submit the application for participation of the athletes in due time.

The Minister of youth and sport of Ukraine Igor ZHADNOV and the first vice-president of Ukrainian Wrestling Association Alexandr DOROVSKOY also participated in the meeting.

Lalovic and Tzenov had also meetings with Vice-Prime Minister of Ukraine Vyacheslav KYRYLENKO where they discussed all outstanding questions connected with organization of future European Cadet Wrestling Championship in Kyiv.

"Last year Ukraine has held a number of sports competitions of the international level - the World Ice Hockey Championship in the IA division, the European Boxing Championship, the European diving championship,” said Kyrelenko. “And we will do everything possible that this Championship have taken place at the high level.”

UWW Lifts Restrictions on Belarus, Russia Wrestlers

By United World Wrestling Press

CORSIER-SUR-VEVEY, Switzerland (May 15) -- United World Wrestling will allow Belarusian and Russian wrestlers to compete without restrictions at upcoming UWW competitions with immediate effect.

Under the updated participation guidelines, wrestlers from Belarus and Russia will compete under their respective national flags at all age-group levels, including senior. Athlete and staff uniforms may now bear the country initials “RUS” and “BLR,” while the national anthems of both countries will be played during medal ceremonies at UWW events if their wrestlers win gold medals or a team wins a championship.

All other standard UWW competition protocols will remain in effect in accordance with international wrestling rules.

In January, UWW had approved the participation of all wrestlers from the two countries up to the U23 age-group level under their respective national flags following an IOC recommendation that youth athletes holding Belarusian or Russian passports should no longer face restrictions on participation in sports events, including team competitions.

UWW first issued a statement on the geopolitical situation surrounding Ukraine in March 2022 and aligned with measures recommended by the IOC. At the time, UWW decided that wrestlers and officials belonging to affiliated and associated federations in Belarus and Russia would not be invited or allowed to participate in international competitions on the UWW calendar.

In April 2023, UWW formed an independent panel to verify the eligibility of wrestlers from Belarus and Russia based on the IOC’s recommended conditions of participation. At the same time, UWW approved wrestlers in the U15 and U17 age categories to compete as neutral athletes in international competitions.

UWW issued another update to the eligibility criteria for Belarusian and Russian wrestlers in September 2024. In February 2025, UWW announced that all eligible wrestlers from Belarus and Russia would compete under the UWW flag, removing the “Individual Neutral Athletes” designation. However, UWW did not authorize the use of national anthems or references to the flags, symbols, or coats of arms of Belarus and Russia.